NEBOSH International General Certificate in OHS
The NEBOSH International General Certificate in Occupational Health and Safety is one of the most popular and recognised health and safety qualification of its kind in the world.
The qualification encourages a pragmatic approach to managing risk and the content can be applied in workplaces anywhere in the world. It is widely used throughout the world by people who seek recognition for their health and safety skills and knowledge.
Benefits of this course
Globally, employers find that the International General Certificate can improve safety culture of their organisation by providing line management & staff with a sound understanding of the principles of risk management.
Who is this course suitable for?
The International General Certificate is aimed at those working in health and safety departments of their respective organisations, or those aspiring to embark on a career in safety management. It is also suitable for managers, supervisors and operational staff from all types of organisation. It offers a broad knowledge of health and safety issues and will help you understand and manage risk effectively in your organisation.
The International General Certificate is broadly recognised as a first step towards a career in health and safety. If you want to embark on a new career, then this is the qualification for you.
This qualification has a minimum of 65 taught hours and can be delivered over 10 to 15 days.
What will you know from this qualification?
With in-depth focus on the things that matter, the NEBOSH International General Certificate covers the core skills you need, wherever in the world you work. You will learn:
- How to effectively manage health and safety
- How to identify and control common workplace hazards
- How to measure if you’ve been successful
- Relevant key international standards
What will you be able to do after this qualification?
Risk assessment is central to the qualification. Through study and workplace application, successful learners will be able to:
- Confidently carry out risk assessments
- Develop and implement a detailed action plan
- Manage and minimise workplace risks
- Support and develop your company’s health and safety culture
Unit IG1: Management of Health and Safety
Element 1: Why we should manage workplace health and safety
Element 2: How health and safety management systems work and what they look like
Element 3: Managing risk – understanding people and processes
Element 4: Health and safety monitoring and measuring
Unit IG2: Risk Assessment
Element 5: Physical and psychological health
Element 6: Musculoskeletal health
Element 7: Chemical and biological agents
Element 8: General workplace issues
Element 9: Work equipment
Element 10: Fire
Element 11: Electricity
How is this qualification assessed?
This modern qualification combines activities, learning and interactive materials to provide you with an interesting and engaging experience. It focuses on key skills that means you can instantly apply the knowledge you gain and add value to your organisation.
Assessment is a two-step process:
- IG1– An open book examination to assess what you know. This is scenario based and will include a closing interview, you will be asked questions about your submission.
- IG2– A practical risk assessment to assess what you can do (3 hours). Learners will complete a risk assessment and develop an action plan for their workplace – this is immediately useful and valuable.
Assessments are marked by external examiners appointed by NEBOSH. These examiners are chosen for their experience and expertise to ensure that learners are assessed by the very best from our industry.
After completing this qualification you may be interested in taking other qualifications, such as:
- NEBOSH Working with Wellbeing
- NEBOSH HSE Introduction to Incident Investigation
- NEBOSH HSE Certificate in Process Safety Management
- NEBOSH International Diploma in Occupational Health and Safety
- OTHM Level 6 Diploma in Occupational Health and Safety
- European Safety Council’s International Diploma in Health and Safety Engineering
- CQI-IRCA approved ISO 45001:2018 OSHMS Lead Auditor
- CQI-IRCA approved ISO 14001:2015 EMS Lead Auditor
- CQI-IRCA approved ISO 9001:2015 QMS Lead Auditor
There are no entry requirements for this qualification, however it is important that learners have a suitable standard of English language in order to understand and articulate the concepts contained in the syllabus.
NEBOSH recommends that learners undertaking this qualification should reach a minimum standard of English equivalent to an International English Language Testing System (IELTS) score of 6.0 or higher in IELTS tests.
Professional recognition and SQA accreditation
Professional body recognition
Holders of the NEBOSH International General Certificate are entitled to:
- Associate Membership (AIOSH) of the Institution of Occupational Safety and Health (IOSH). The qualification also meets the academic requirements for Technical Membership (Tech IOSH) of IOSH.
- Associate Membership (AIIRSM) of the International Institute of Risk and Safety Management (IIRSM).
The NEBOSH International General Certificate in Occupational Health and Safety has been accredited and credit rated by the Scottish Qualifications Authority (SQA) Accreditation. It sits in the Scottish Credit and Qualifications Framework (SCQF) at SCQF Level 6 with 11 SCQF credit points.
SCQF Level 6 is comparable to RQF/CQFW Level 3 in England, Wales and Northern Ireland
Please Contact Us For a Quotation.